Your information is being collected by one or more of the Greengate entities listed in the schedule at the end of this policy ("Greengate", "we", "us", "our"). We care about your privacy. This policy sets out in detail how we manage the personal information you provide to us.
We respect your rights to privacy and must comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles. We will not use or disclose your personal information other than for the purposes described in this policy or for purposes for which we have received your consent.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you which is necessary to provide you with care services or to properly operate our business. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, your health history, certain financial information and any other information which is necessary to assist the health care team in providing appropriate care.
Contractors and volunteers
We collect information from you which is necessary to properly manage and operate our business. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, professional experience and qualifications, and any other information which may be necessary to appropriately conduct our business.
We collect information from you which is necessary to assess your suitability for an employment position. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address, professional experience, qualifications, references and past employers and any other information which is necessary to assess and engage you regarding your application.
Parties making enquiries or complaints
We collect information from you which is necessary to assess and respond to your enquiry or complaint. This includes collecting personal information such as your name, address and the nature of your enquiry or complaint.
How do we collect information?
We will usually collect your personal information directly from you, however sometimes we may need to collect information about you from third parties, such as relatives, another care or health service provider or our own related entities.
We will only collect information from third parties if (where relevant):
- you have consented to such collection;
- such collection is reasonably necessary to enable us to provide you with appropriate care services (such as in the case of an emergency situation);
- such collection is reasonably necessary to enable us to appropriately manage and conduct our business, assess your employment application or respond to your enquiry or complaint; or
- it is legally permissible for us to do so.
What do we do with the information?
We may use the information provided to us to communicate with you and update you on our activities (for example, via a newsletter).
To whom will we disclose information?
We will limit the disclosure of your personal information to the primary purpose for which that information has been collected unless you provide us with your consent or the disclosure is related to the primary purpose. This includes when disclosure is necessary to provide services to you, assist us in running our organisation, or for security reasons.
This includes when the disclosure of your personal information is necessary to provide services to you such as third parties involved in your care, assist us in managing and conducting our business, process your job application, managing your enquiry or complaint or for security reasons, such as (where relevant):
- health professionals, for example physiotherapists and occupational therapists;
- your general practitioner;
- government departments responsible for health, aged care and disability where we have a legal or contractual obligation to do so;
- relatives, close friends, guardians (unless we have been told otherwise);
- third parties contracted to provide services to us, such as entities contracted to assist in accreditation processes;
- chaplains associated with us so that you may receive pastoral care during admission;
- any entities related to Greengate (including those entities listed in the schedule at the end of this policy);
- our business partners;
- data storage and processing facilities we may use to house information, including those outside of Australia;
- anyone authorised by you to receive your personal information (your consent may be express or implied); or
- anyone we are required by law to disclose your personal information to.
What do we do to safeguard personal information?
We take reasonable steps to preserve the security, accuracy and completeness of your personal information and other information that we collect from you. Once we have received information you provide to us, we implement reasonable measures to protect the security of the information in our own systems including restricting physical access to your personal information and using firewalls and secure databases.
All your personal information is stored by us or our data management partners securely in either hard copy or electronic form.
Why you may have received one of our publications and direct marketing
If we have done business with you, we may add your name and contact details to our publication or direct marketing list. To keep you up to date with our services, publications and other resources, we may communicate with you. At any time, if you no longer wish to receive this information, just let us know and we will remove your details from the mailing list.
Complete and accurate information
We will advise you if it is possible for you to be involved with us and for us to provide our services on an anonymous basis or using a pseudonym.
Where possible and practicable, you will have the option to deal with us on an anonymous basis or by using a pseudonym. However, if the personal information you provide us is incomplete or inaccurate, or you withhold personal information, we may not be able to provide the services or support to you are seeking, or deal with you effectively.
Overseas data storage
From time to time, we may contract third party data management partners to store your data overseas. When this occurs, we take all reasonable steps to ensure that the third party complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles, unless:
- that third party is subject to appropriate overseas privacy legislation and there is a mechanism for you to enforce the protection of your personal information;
- you consent to your personal information being held by the overseas entity; or
- there is a permitted general situation allowing the disclosure (ie, there is a serious threat to life, health or safety or there is a threat of unlawful activity).
Online transfer of information
While we do all we can to protect the privacy of your personal information, no data transfer over the internet is 100% secure. When you share your personal information with Greengate via an online process, it is at your own risk.
There are ways you can help maintain the privacy of your personal information, including:
- always closing your browser when you have finished your user session;
- always ensuring others cannot access your personal information and emails if you use a public computer; and
- never disclosing your user name and password to third parties.
A 'cookie' is a small data file placed on your computer which lets us identify and interact more effectively with your computer. Cookies do not identify individual users, but they do identify your ISP and browser type.
Links to other sites
The Greengate website may provide links to third party websites. These linked sites may not be under our control and we are not responsible for the content or privacy practices employed by those websites. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we recommend that you carefully read the terms and conditions of use and privacy statement of the relevant website.
Accessing and amending your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information which we hold about you. If you make a request to access your personal information, we will ask you to verify your identity and specify the information you require.
You can also request an amendment to any of your personal information if you consider that it contains inaccurate information.
You can contact Greengate about any privacy issues at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we aim to meet all requests to access and amendments to personal information, there may be some instances where we are unable to do this where it may adversely affect your health and safety or the safety of others.
If you have a complaint about Greengate's information handling practices or consider we have breached your privacy, you can lodge a complaint:
- by emailing email@example.com; or
- with the Office of Australian Information Commissioner.
Greengate deals with all complaints in a fair and efficient manner.
List of Greengate entities to which this policy relates:
- Greengate Care Pty Limited ACN 134 367 927
- Greengate Partnership Pty Limited ACN 112 186 928
- Greengate Design Pty Limited ACN 125 457 892
- Greengate Development Pty Limited ACN 105 974 758
- Greengate Realty Pty Limited ACN 129 319 277
- St Brigid's Green Retirement Village Pty Limited ACN 132 558 288